Cervical Cytology - Sample takers initial training
The NHS Cancer Screening Programme (NHSCSP) outlines the requirements for initial training and will be followed in this programme in order to facilitate your entry onto the register of your regional Public Health England Screening and Immunisation; register of cervical sample takers.
It will be delivered by staff by Nursing and Midwifery senior lecturers from the Faculty of Health Sciences, Staffordshire University and Public Health England regional representatives.
The course will be delivered over one day followed by half a day six month later and is designed for any qualified registered health care professional who will undertake cervical sampling as part of their employed role.
Attendees will be expected to undertake observation, supervised practice of cervical sample taking and by the half day follow up in six months have audit evidence of completion of 20 cervical samples, visited a local cervical laboratory services and colposcopy clinic.
It will introduce you to NHS Cervical Screening, discuss the opportunities to review and practice the practical aspects and asses your prior knowledge; as well as informing you how to access your ‘training pin’
On your return after six months you will have the opportunity to discuss and share experiences as well as receive your final authorised PIN.
- Revision of anatomy & physiology of the female genitalia (pre-course reading)
- Revision of knowledge and understanding of the national cervical screening programme (pre-course reading).
- Understand practical aspects of cervical sampling
- Understand processing of sample by visiting laboratory
- Understand process of results when not normal by visiting colposcopy clinic
- Have personal audit completed to demonstrate competence in procedure
You will be expected to:
- Have a qualifying supervisor and assessor (who can evidence through audit completion of at least 50 cervical samples per year. If this person is a nurse they should also be familiar with NMC guidelines relating to mentorship and delegation)
- Prior knowledge of anatomy and physiology of the female genitalia and hormonal influences are expected and should be revised before attending the course
- Read and familiarised themselves with the Cervical Sampling Tool Kit http://www.wmciu.nhs.uk/page.aspx?id=CQA13
The Initial Cervical Sampler Training will be held at regular intervals at each campus throughout the year at a cost of £200.00 per delegate (please note refreshments are not included)
N.B: Each course will require a minimum number of delegate attendance to be confirmed – A full refund will be made to delegates if the School of Health and Social Care have to cancel any courses; we will always give as much notice as possible if this does occur. Unfortunately we cannot offer a refund if places are cancelled by delegates.
Date & Time – Full Day Date & Time–Half Day Location Tuesday 22nd October 2019 / 09.30 - 16.00 Tuesday 17th April 2020 / 09.30 - 13.00 Centre of Excellence Stafford Tuesday 21st April 2020 / 09.30 - 16.00 October 2020 (Date TBC) Centre of Excellence Shrewsbury
For any further information concerning any of these short courses please contact Jackie Redhead on 01785 353 758 or firstname.lastname@example.org